Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Thief of Joy

    How many times have I heard that comparison is the thief of joy? Too many to count. I have sat and pondered what I would feel if I gave up all social media. My conclusion? Happiness. The why of that answer is simple. As Americans we have bought into the lie that our success is measured by what we have and how well we are "keeping up with the Jones'." So what do we do? We slave away mindlessly so we can mortgage and finance ourselves into oblivion. Most Americans would have nothing if not for credit. Do I think it's a bad thing? Not always. I think, however, if the pressure was not there to have the nicest and newest there would be a lot less stress and a lot more happiness.
    Social media has brought us to new heights of comparison and depression. Our downward spiral of discontent with what we have is now only as far away as turning on your computer. Yes before that we had the television. Yes, we also still wanted the big house, new car and next best thing. It can be disheartening when you can get a reminder daily that others around you are getting all of the things you wanted in life.
    Remember me mentioning the little fixer upper we bought? Did I mention the nightmare I have lived in for nearly the last year? I have so many dreams. We wanted a place that we could live in without having to worry that a bank could ever take it from us. We found a 1980 mobile home that needs lots of TLC. We walked through the door, saw the space and endless possibilities. My heart gently whispered "mine". We bought it for $2,500 cash and our journey began. Our plans of drywall, bath and kitchen remodels, a new roof and large additions are not going to happen over night. I look at pictures and read stories of amazing mobile home remodels that you can't ever tell it was once a run down place that anyone else would have scraped. Someone saw the potential of these places and turned them into cozy homes that look like they just came from a lowes home magazine. And they did it all without a mortgage. With our family's situation and the uncertainty that we all face, this was what we chose to do.
    Some days I want to cry. Some days I do. The dam breaks, I build it back, and remember my dream. There are so many things that need to be done. Right now, I am thankful to have a roof over our heads that we owe nothing for. We have worked so hard on it since we bought it and already it is such a huge improvement. I keep telling myself these things when I see the beautiful new house that so and so bought, or that someone is buying another house. I just want one. Our goal is to renovate and remodel until you could never be able to tell that it was ever a mobile home. There is no shame in owning one, I just want someone to walk though the door and see their reaction when I tell them how our home started out. I think it is the artistic side of me that needs the shock and awe factor. I want my house to be different and not like anyone else's.That's hard to get from a home off the assembly line floor. We'll get there. I just have to stop comparing our situation to others. I don't know what life is like for them behind closed doors. I don't know what their debt is, their financial status and I don't want to. My point is that reminding myself that the grass isn't always greener on the other side takes daily effort. I have the opportunity to rebuild my house one room at a time. Make it ours. Add on. I can't take it with me when I die. The legacy I leave behind will be much more important. Teaching my children to be grateful for what they have and to make the most of the opportunities they are given.
    My creative side just wants to cut loose on this place and make it grand. Until then, I go to one of my favorite sites, look at pictures, get ideas and dream. If you have a similar dream I would suggest checking out mobilehomelivingdotorg. I have wasted away hours there and have no regrets.
    Please just remember that not all dreams are going to be the same. You don't have to go to the bank and mortgage your life away to be happy. You don't have to follow what everyone else is doing to be successful. Happiness and success is measured in the heart and that's the one place that only you can build or tear down. Don't sabotage yourself or your individuality with comparison.

Be Blessed,
 Maygan

No comments:

Post a Comment